Singapore has one of the best law schools in the world. Apply to one of the top law schools in Singapore and envision yourself becoming a highly sought-after lawyer in the near future.
Laws cover many things and change easily. Right now, there is a law related to whatever you are doing. And there is always someone who is breaking a law, without meaning to or on purpose.
Lawyers are necessary in many situations, both for personal and public reasons. They are needed in places like courtrooms, hospitals, businesses, the military, and even homes. Basically, wherever you can think of, a lawyer is necessary.
Even though it may be interesting, studying law is not easy, whether you’re studying at any law school in any country you choose. Lawyers need to read a lot. The ones who are really good at it are called voracious readers. They can use either the free online law library or go to local or federal libraries.
Even in Singapore, lawyers there really like to read a lot. So, if you want to go to one of the best law schools there, get ready to become someone who loves to read books. There are free online classes about law that you can take from home. You can also get a certificate while doing other things in your life.
There are websites where you can get help from lawyers if you need advice on legal issues.
Without wasting time, let’s find out the requirements needed to enter a law school in Singapore!
Requirements To Enter A Law School In Singapore
To study law in Singapore, you need to meet the requirements set by colleges. The rules can be different for each place. Below is a list of criteria that applies to everything:
For Undergraduate (UG) Programmes;
- Indian Standard 12 (Central, State Boards, ISC Boards, and Other Boards) exam results with a good pass in 5 subjects including English. No particular cut-off.
- Proficiency in English: IELTS (minimum 7.0 overall), TOEFL (minimum 600 or 100 with at least 24 in reading and writing each.)
- Additional prerequisites: CV: Extracurricular activities; achievements and awards
- In most colleges, selected students have to pass a test and attend a formal interview.
For Post Graduate (PG) Programmes;
- Good Bachelor’s degree in Law
- 6 months of working experience is required in some colleges/ courses.
- English Proficiency: IELTS (minimum 7.0 overall), TOEFL (minimum 650 or 100)
- Additional Prerequisites: CV, Recommendation letter
- A few universities also conduct the test.
Now that we have talked about the requirements needed to enroll in a law school in Singapore, let’s delve properly into the law schools one after another.
Law Schools in Singapore
- National University of Singapore-Faculty of Law
- University of Warwick
- Singapore Management University
- Singapore University of Social Sciences — School of Law
- BAC College — School of Law
- Sorbonne-Assas International Law school, Singapore
- Kaplan Higher education Academy
- Nanyang Technological University
1. National University of Singapore-Faculty of Law
This law school in Singapore is the first on our list and is also known as one of the top law schools in Asia and the world.
The National University of Singapore Faculty of Law is considered the best law school in Asia. NUS Law has a great team of teachers from different backgrounds. They are dedicated to creating a lively community where students can think critically and reflect on important legal issues in our connected world.
The Law Faculty has around 1000 students studying for their bachelor’s degree and 200 students pursuing their master’s or higher degree. About one in ten undergraduate students come from other countries, while over nine out of ten graduate students are from outside the country.
Their students who are studying for advanced degrees come from over 35 different countries in Asia, Europe, North and South America, Africa, and Oceania. Both local and international students receive a high-quality education at reduced costs. We are currently looking at the fees and they might go up soon.
2. University of Warwick
This is the next law school located in Singapore on our list. They are a very good university that is well-known for being the best in the world and for having high standards in academics and research. It is also ranked very well in the lists of top universities in the UK and around the world.
Their School of Law degrees, which fall under the social sciences category, go beyond teaching the necessary skills to be a lawyer. They train students who can analyze and evaluate
the law, its positive and negative aspects, and how it can help society. The law school has different programs for students in their early and advanced studies.
3. Singapore Management University
Being the next school of law in Singapore on our list, as a premier university in Asia, the Singapore Management University (SMU) is internationally recognized for its world-class research and distinguished teaching.
The school was started in 2000 with a goal to do important research and to create successful leaders for the modern economy. SMU’s education is popular for its hands-on and teamwork-oriented learning style.
Over 12,000 students from different study levels go to SMU, which has seven schools. Their law department is part of the social sciences school.
She has many different degrees available, like a bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph. D Degree programs are available in the subjects related to the schools, as well as in combinations of these subjects.
4. Singapore University of Social Sciences — School of Law
This is the next on our list of law schools in Singapore. The School of Law (SLAW) is a place where they teach and help create really good lawyers who specialize in criminal law and family law, which are areas of law that a lot of people need help in.
Their programs focus on teaching students how to solve problems by using a combination of learning the actual law and applying it in real-life situations. Their graduates are ready to handle work in criminal and family law that has become more specialized over time, thanks to exposure to different fields.
5. BAC College — School of Law
This is the next school on our list of Law Schools in Singapore. BAC College in Singapore is not like any other private school in Singapore. They are part of a group of schools around the world that includes five colleges and a university college. The university college offers eight different specialized areas of study that are important and intended to help you become a graduate who can succeed internationally.
In their group of colleges, you can choose from a variety of programs. These include Pre-U, Law, Business, Digital Media, Design & Communications, Technology & Innovation, Hospitality, Culinary & Tourism, Early Childhood, and Psychology. Each program is specialized and focused, preparing you for the future.
Read Also: How to Study in Singapore for Free (9 Steps)
6. Sorbonne-Assas International Law school, Singapore
This is the next law school on our list. It is located in Singapore and also has campuses in Dubai, Mauritius, and Paris. The University is well-known in France and around the world as one of the best universities for studying Law. The University is dedicated to achieving the highest level of excellence in all areas of Law. The School has different programs to choose from;
- LL.M in International Business Law in Dubai, Paris, Mauritius, and Singapore: This Program prepares students and professionals to master important cross-border mergers or financial transactions, funding, restructuring, LBO, financial engineering, and setting-up up industrial projects.
- A Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) in Mauritius: This is a 3-years program dedicated to HSC / BAC graduates. It offers a unique blend of Common law, Civil law, Mauritian law, and International Law. By emphasizing on core business and international legal issues, it provides an in-depth view of key legal subjects and is undoubtedly a strong basis for any legal career.
There is a program in Singapore where professionals like lawyers, managers, and in-house counsels can attend seminars to learn and improve their skills in specific legal areas related to International Business. The program can be customized based on individual requests.
7. Kaplan Higher Education Academy
This is the next law school we are going to talk about in Singapore. Kaplan offers many different Diplomas, either full-time or part-time, in various subjects. These Diplomas allow students to access more than 300 Degree programs at Kaplan’s partner universities. The Diploma programs are designed to give you the right knowledge for the industry you are studying, and you can finish 8 modules in 8 months. They have a program where they give you a special diploma for learning about laws. The Diploma program has 8 parts and can be finished in 8 months.
The following modules are covered in the program:
- Commercial Law
- Criminal Law
- Family Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Introduction to the Singaporean and International Legal Systems
- Law of Tort and Civil Obligation
- Property Law and Conveyance
- Wills and Estates
8. Nanyang Technological University
This is the last on our list of schools offering law in Singapore. Nanyang Technological University in Singapore is a young and research-focused institution. It has 33,000 students studying various subjects like engineering, business, science, humanities, arts, social sciences, education, and medicine. Besides its main location in western Singapore, NTU also has a medical campus in Novena, which is Singapore’s healthcare area.
NTU is a top university with excellent institutes like the National Institute of Education, S Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Earth Observatory of Singapore, and Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering.
These are the law schools in Singapore where students who want to become lawyers can go to start their career in law.
I will now briefly address some common questions about Law Schools in Singapore.
Law Schools in Singapore – FAQs
How Long Does It Take To Become A Lawyer In Singapore
The LLB program can be completed in 4.5 to 6 years, and the JD program can be completed in 4 to 6 years.
Do Law Schools In Singapore Accept International Students
Yes, Law Schools in Singapore accept International students.
What Is The Cheapest Law School In Singapore?
The National University of Singapore (NUS) is the most affordable law school in Singapore. The cost of studying undergraduate programs ranges from S$17,550 to S$64,650 for certain courses.