How to Stay in the USA After College for International Students

how to stay in USA after college
Are you an international student that just graduated and not sure what to do next? Do you intend to remain in the country? If so, this article discusses three possibilities that might be open to you. You have three options for staying in the country if you entered with an F-1 student visa. This article will be on how to stay in USA after college.

1. OPT – Optional Practical Training

For F-1 Visa students who have recently graduated, Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a possibility.

OPT is temporary authorisation for employment, and the employment you hold must be pertinent to your F-1 study subject. Any eligible student may apply for up to a year of OPT job permission.

You can apply for a two-year extension of your OPT if your degree is in a certain STEM subject (science, technology, engineering, and math). This article is on how to stay in USA after college.

2. Apply for a Non-Immigrant Work Visa

A nonimmigrant visa known as the H-1B enables foreign nationals to temporarily work in high-skilled occupations. H-1B visa applicants must possess specialist expertise and a bachelor’s degree or higher, or an equivalent degree.

The majority of H-1B jobs are in scientific, engineering, and information technology industries.

E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader and Investor

A treaty trader visa known as the E-1 is available to immigrants who are from nations with which the United States has a trade agreement. The applicant’s home country and the United States must engage in “substantial” trade in goods.

Additionally, immigrants from nations that have a trade agreement with the United States are eligible for the E-2 visa. They must have invested “significant” capital in a U.S. company, or be actively in the process of doing so.

L-1 Intracompany Transferee Visa

Another nonimmigrant visa is the L-1, which is for employees who are currently employed abroad and are moving to the United States. This visa also enables a foreign business to send a manager or executive to open an office there.

While these visas will let you stay in the country, they won’t let you do so indefinitely. A Green Card may be required if you want to stay in the United States for a longer period of time.

3. Apply for a Green Card

Adjustment of status is a procedure that allows temporary immigrants (such as students, tourists, and foreign workers) in the country to convert to lawful permanent residents (Green Card holders) without ever leaving the country (If you are outside of the United States, the only path to immigrate to the country is through consular processing).

International students have the best chances of winning a Green Card through sponsorship from immediate relatives, asylum status, the Green Card lottery, employment sponsorship, or specific military service. This article was on how to stay in USA after college.


  • Akwaowo Akpan

    Hi there, welcome to Online Studying Services. As a fan of authentic information and a student, I devise this means to offer reliable information to international students wishing to either study abroad or online. Thanks for stopping by!

    View all posts
Share this post on

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *