These article is on Boston University Acceptance Rate. Lot of people really like Boston University, which is why they got almost 81,000 applications for the freshman class of 2023-24.
11% vs a higher number previously, indicating that it is much more difficult to get accepted now compared to before. About 58 out of every 100. BU is in a popular city in America. It has highly-rated programs in many subjects like business, engineering, design, communications, performing arts, education, and more.
There has been a huge increase in the number of people applying for college in recent years, which has caused the average SAT score to go up by over 150 points since Barack Obama became president for the first time.
Today, applicants need to have more to offer than in previous generations to be accepted into BU. what the article is about and what it hopes to accomplish. The main purpose of this article is to provide information and guidance for individuals who are thinking about applying to Boston University. It aims to help these individuals gain a better understanding of what to expect and what they can hope to achieve by attending the university:
- Boston University’s Class of 2027 acceptance rate
- Boston University’s Class of 2027 ED acceptance rate
- SAT, ACT, GPA, and class rank of accepted Boston University applicants
- Admissions trends from the Class of 2027
- The demographics of current Boston University undergraduates
- Boston University’s yield rate
- How Boston University’s admissions officers evaluate candidates
- Tips for applying to Boston University
- BU Supplemental Essay Prompts
- How to assess whether applying to Boston University is even worth the $80 application fee (for you)
Let’s begin with an examination of the most recent admissions data.
Boston University’s: Overall Acceptance Rate – Class of 2027
BU accepted 8,612 out of the 80,794 students who applied for the Class of 2027. This means that only 11% of the students who apply to Boston University are accepted.
Recent historical BU acceptance rates are as follows:
- Class of 2026: 14%
- 2025: 19%
- 2024: 20%
Boston University Early Decision Acceptance Rate – Class of 2027
If you really want to go to BU, you should think about applying early decision. More than 40% of the students who were just admitted to the university for their first year got accepted through Early Decision. This school has two options for early applications called ED I in November and ED II in January. The rate at which Boston University accepted applicants for Early Decision for the Class of 2027 was 29% but this only includes those who applied in the early decision cycle.
BU Admissions – SAT, ACT, and GPA
The students who got accepted into the Class of 2026 had an average grade point average of 3. 8 Their test scores were 1441 on the SAT and 32 on the ACT. The students who joined the university in the 2022-23 academic year had a GPA between 3. 8 and 40, and 84% of them were in the top 10% of their high school class.
Admissions Trends & Notes – (Class of 2027)
- BU has continued their test-optional policy for those applying to join the university in fall 2024.
- 41% of Class of 2027 applicants submitted test scores with their application.
- International applicants came from 182 countries.
- BU experienced a 1.1% increase in international applications from the previous cycle.
- Boston University early decision applications increased by 8.8% in the 2022-23 cycle.
Who Actually Gets Into Boston University?
Let’s look at the demographics of Boston University undergraduates:
- Students represent all 50 states (plus Puerto Rico, the District of Columbia, Guam, American Samoa Islands and U.S. Virgin Islands).
- They come from 100+ countries around the world.
- BU is one of the top US schools for international students to pursue their undergraduate education.
Competition is very tough at selective universities, especially for students from Northeastern and West Coast states where there are many qualified applicants. If you come from a state with fewer people like Hawaii, the Dakotas, or Montana, there is a better chance that your location will help you get accepted into something. Boston University wants to admit at least one student from each state. Actually, they have a person from every state in the group of new students joining in 2022-23.
Boston University Acceptance Rate (Continued)
Looking at ethnic identity, the breakdown of the Class of 2026 was as follows:
- Asian American: 20%
- Hispanic: 12%
- African American: 8%
- International: 23%
- White: 30%
- Two or more races: 4%
The breakdown by gender of all current undergraduates is notably split in favor of women:
- Male: 42%
- Female: 58%
Men do enjoy an edge in the admissions process at BU since there are far more qualified female applicants year after year. In one recent cycle, 25% of men are accepted compared to 16% of women.
Last year, only 32% of the students who got accepted into Boston University actually chose to enroll. This is because BU is competing with the same group of students as the Ivy League and other prestigious schools. The university really values when students show a strong interest in attending (we’ll explain what that means in a bit), especially if they choose to apply early decision. Many other top private universities like Northwestern, Duke, and Cornell University have higher rates of students who choose to attend.
How BU Rates Applicants
Boston University considers only two factors to be extremely crucial in their admissions process: how challenging the high school curriculum was and the GPA achieved by the applicant. This year, the school will not require students from the Class of 2028 to submit their standardized test scores for admission. The scores will only be taken into account to some extent when evaluating the applicants.”
Boston University Acceptance Rate (Continued)
Boston University really cares about an applicant’s talent and ability. They are proud of the different accomplishments outside of school that their new students have. just graduated from high school and were starting their first year of college…
- Placed third in the first season of MasterChef Junior
- Developed and patented two products to help pediatric cancer survivors
- Is a three-time World Tap Dance Champion
- Developed an algorithm to identify and fight cyberbullying
- Was named one of ‘America’s 10 most outstanding teen social entrepreneurs’
- Earned a bronze medal at a World Junior Figure Skating competition in Switzerland
- Built a solar-powered car
- Started a program that has donated over 15,000 pairs of lab goggles to schools across the US
- Founded a mobile app that aims to end food waste by connecting over 70 restaurants with food surpluses with approximately 1,200 customers who are seeking to purchase food at bargain prices
- Presented a paper to United Nations officials about language education for refugees in Turkey
- Runs a dance program to help elderly patients fight dementia
- Was a columnist for the South China Morning Post
- Published a picture book that was translated into three languages, an 80,000-word novel, and a poetry anthology
In the admissions office’s own words:
We want students to come to BU who are going to do well and be successful. It is important to take the most difficult classes like honors, AP, IB, or other challenging courses offered at your high school or college. But we are also searching for students who will make a special and varied community at BU. This text is describing individuals who like to do things and take action. It includes volunteers, entrepreneurs, and students who are motivated to improve their academic experience. This is why we take into account things like after-school activities, hobbies, jobs, special abilities, and endorsements from people who know you well such as teachers, counselors, and community leaders.
It’s a plus if you are a talented athlete and join one of Boston University’s 24 Division I sports teams. It also helps if you have a special skill mentioned earlier.
Tips for Applying to Boston University
If you plan on joining the 80,000+ BU hopefuls for the next admissions cycle, you should know the following:
- Boston University expects to see evidence of advanced coursework in high school. Taking multiple advanced classes, particularly within your area of academic interest is a must.
- Boston University does not offer interviews so it is imperative that you stand out on your Common App and supplemental essay as well as through your teacher/counselor recommendations.
- Boston University weighs “demonstrated interest” as “considered” in the admissions process. Therefore, you will be judged on whether or not you made a campus visit (in non-pandemic times), contacted an admissions officer, etc.
Boston University Acceptance Rate (Continued)
- Make sure to dedicate sufficient time and effort to the supplemental essay(s) required by BU. In the 2022-23 cycle, there is one prompt that every applicant must tackle and a separate set of prompts for applicants to the Kilachand Honors College.
All applicants must answer:
What about being a student at Boston University most excites you? (250 words)
For detailed advice on how to tackle this essay visit our blog entitled Boston University Supplemental Essay Prompt and Tips.
Boston University Acceptance Rate – Final Thoughts
Students who have an SAT score below 1400 and/or a GPA of 3. 75 or lower may need an extra advantage to be admitted as a Terrier. BU has a low acceptance rate of 14% because they are looking for students who have scored in the 95th percentile or higher on standardized tests and have mostly earned A’s in a challenging high school program. If you want to go to Boston University, make sure you have a strong backup plan too. All students should make sure they have a list of colleges that includes some that they are likely to get into (safety
schools) and some that they really want to get into (target schools). You should definitely do this together with an admissions expert.