Best Engineering schools in the Midwest | Rankings
Here is a list of the most-ranked engineering schools in the Midwest, sourced from US News;
|Best Engineering Schools In The Midwest||US News Ranking|
|The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign||#6 (tie)|
|The University of Michigan – Ann Arbor||#6 (tie)|
|Purdue University – West Lafayette, Indiana||#10|
|Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois||#15|
|University of Wisconsin – Madison||#20|
|University of Minnesota – Twin Cities||#24|
|Ohio State University – Columbus||#27|
|University of Notre Dame||#36|
|Michigan State University||#45|
|Michigan Technology University||#63 (tie)|
|Missouri University of Science and Technology||#63 (tie)|
|Illinois Institute of Technology||86|
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The first on our list of the best engineering schools in the midwest is University of Illinois ranked 6th in undergrad designing programs by the US News.
The College of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign was founded in 1867, it could be a well-recognized open school with over 56,000 understudies selected, making it one of the biggest colleges within the nation.
As an up and coming build, it might intrigued you to know that the College of Illinois is certify by the Higher Learning Commission and offers programs that lead to a Bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph.D.
The school isn’t exceptionally strict with confirmation, the acknowledgment rate is 63%, and the graduation rate is 83%.
The engineering tuition budget for the University of Illinois is as follows;
|Engineering Undergraduate Tuition||$17,138/year (in-state)||$35,110/year (out-of-state|
|Engineering Graduate Tuition||$18,998/Year (in-state)||$36,150/year (out-of-state)|
The University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
Next up is the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. In 2019, US News ranked their engineering program as the fourth best in the country.
The University of Michigan is a good engineering school in the middle of the United States. It has been approved by the Higher Learning Commission. They choose only a few students to attend, but most students finish and get their degree.
The nuclear engineering program for graduates was the best one in the country. The Industrial and Operations Engineering program and the Materials Science and Engineering program were also really good, ranking second.
It’s not easy to get into the University of Michigan engineering school. As we mentioned before, students need to meet certain criteria;
- A minimum GPA of 3.9
- Composite ACT score of 34 and median SAT score of 1420.
For student size, the school boasts over 48,000 students, and engineering students graduate with Bachelor’s, Master and a Ph.D.
The engineering tuition budget for the University of Michigan is as follows;
|Engineering Undergraduate Tuition||$1,065/credit (in-state)||2,575/credit (out of state)|
|Engineering Graduate Tuition||$1,964/credit (in-state)||$3,349/credit (out of state)|
Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana
Purdue University is in Indiana and is widely known for teaching engineering. It was founded by John Purdue in 1869 and it started as a college for science, technology and farming.
Purdue University’s engineering school is really good – it’s in the top 10 in the country! Lots of people go there – more than 49,000 students.
Purdue University offers the following engineering degrees;
The engineering tuition budget for Purdue University is as follows;
|Engineering Undergraduate Tuition||$12,042/year (in-state)||$30,844/year (out of state)|
|Engineering Graduate Tuition||$5,558/semester (in-state)||$14,959/semester (out of state)|
Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois
Northwestern University was started in 1851 and is a fancy school. The university is owned privately. It is also one of the best schools in the world.
This school is really good at teaching engineering in the midwestern part of the United States. You can study here to get a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. degree. In engineering. (Rewritten in simpler terms for better understanding)
The engineering school is hard to get into because only 13% of people are accepted. But it’s a really good school and is ranked 15th in the country by US News.
The engineering tuition budget for Northwestern University is as follows;
|Engineering Undergraduate Tuition||$20,092/quarter|
|Engineering Graduate Tuition||$19,009/quarter|
University of Wisconsin – Madison
The University of Wisconsin–Madison College of Engineering started in 1857. It is one of the top engineering schools in the midwest and has 13 parts that teach different things.
It’s hard to get into this engineering school because many people want to go there, even though over half of applicants get accepted. To have a good chance of getting in, you need to have gotten good grades in high school – at least a 3.5 GPA.
The University of Wisconsin is one of the most respected schools for engineering in the USA. It has been ranked as the 20th best engineering school in the country by US News.
University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
The University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities is a big school that offers many different programs for both undergraduate and graduate students. It is located in Minneapolis and Saint Paul in Minnesota, USA.
The University of Minnesota has many programs like Engineering, Social Sciences, Business, and Marketing. The school has 20 courses in science and engineering for college students.
It’s not too hard to get into U of M because more than half of applicants get accepted. But, you need to have a good GPA and SAT/ACT scores to get in.
Other top Midwest Engineering Schools include;
- Ohio State University – Columbus
- University of Notre Dame
- Michigan State University
- Michigan Technology University
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Illinois Institute of Technology
What is the Salary Outlook for engineers?
There is a big need for engineers right now, and there will be even more jobs available in the next 10 years. The US government thinks around 140,000 new engineering jobs will be created during this time.
Most job opportunities will be available for civil engineers. They will have around 23% of all jobs.
Highest-paying engineering careers in the midwest:
|Job Profile||Annual Salary Range|
|Mining and Geological Engineer||$97,090|
What are the best Engineering Schools in the midwest for an Associate degree?
- Lewis and Clark Community College | Associate in Engineering Science
- Columbia College- Associate in Science in Pre- Engineering
- Saint Paul College | Associate of Science Engineering Broad Field
- Northwest State Community College | Associate of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Parkland College | Associate of Engineering Science
What are the top Engineering Schools in the midwest for a Bachelor’s degree?
- University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign | Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering
- The University of Michigan – Ann Arbor | Bachelor of Science in Climate and Meteorology
- Purdue University | Bachelor of Science in Nuclear Engineering
- Northwestern University | Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering.
- Ohio State University | Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering.
What are the best Engineering Schools in the midwest for a Master’s degree?
- Purdue University | Master of Science in Environmental and Ecological Engineering.
- Ohio State University | Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering.
- The University of Notre Dame | Master of Science in Computer Science and Engineering
- Michigan Technological University | Master of Science in Mining Engineering.
- Illinois Institute of Technology | Master of Engineering Artificial Intelligence, Computer Vision, and Control.
What are the Top Engineering Schools in the midwest for a Ph.D.?
- Purdue University | Nuclear Engineering Ph.D.
- The University of Michigan – Ann Arbor | Ph.D. in Climate and Space Sciences and Engineering.
- University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign | Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering
- Northwestern University | Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering.
- The University of Notre Dame | Ph.D. in Bioengineering.