Excellent news for international students! IELTS online, one of the most popular English language tests and a common university admission requirement, will be available online from early 2022.
But what is IELTS Online? And how does it compare to the regular IELTS Academic available in test centres? Let’s find out!
What is IELTS Online?
IELTS Online is the same IELTS Academic exam you would take at a certified test centre on a computer or on paper.
The core advantage of IELTS Online is the flexibility to take the test from anywhere in the world as long as you meet the requirements and have all the necessary tools: e.g. a PC or a laptop, a stable internet connection, a webcam, a headset with microphone.
Differences between IELTS Online and the standard IELTS Academic test:
- The Speaking part usually takes place face-to-face with an official examiner. For IELTS Online, your Speaking skills will be evaluated by an examiner, but it will take place as an online video call.
- IELTS Online cannot be used for visa or immigration purposes.
- It’s not yet clear if all higher education institutions (HEI) that accept IELTS Academic will also accept IELTS Online. Therefore, test takers should always double-check this with their institution.
What is the format of IELTS Online?
IELTS Online offers a seamless experience to test takers. Anyone who has prepared for the regular IELTS Academic (or is familiar with that format) won’t face any issues while taking IELTS Online:
- Listening: 30 minutes. You will listen to four recordings of native speakers. Afterwards, you’ll need to answer 40 questions.
- Academic Reading: 60 minutes. You will read 3 texts, and then you’ll have to answer 40 questions.
- Academic Writing: 60 minutes. There are 2 tasks. For the first one, you have to describe a graph, table, chart or other visual information in your own words. For the second one, you need to write an essay as a response to a point of view, problem, or argument. You need to write in a formal style for both tasks.
- Speaking: 11-14 minutes. There are three parts, during which you will talk with the examiner about yourself, you will describe or express your opinion about a particular topic and end with discussing more abstract ideas or concepts.
How does IELTS Online work?
While we don’t have all the details at this time, it’s more than likely that IELTS Online will follow the same tried-and-tested methods of other online tests. This usually means:
- An exam invigilator will make sure all the rules are followed
- You’ll need to give a “virtual tour” of your room, proving no unauthorised people, materials, or tools are present
- You’ll need to provide a valid ID
- You’ll use a specific software or browser that will lock your system or limit your internet access, only allowing you to use the IELTS Online application or tab
- You might be asked to use a wired headset with a microphone instead of a Bluetooth one to avoid any potential attempts to cheat
More details will be available after IELTS Online is officially launched in early 2022.
Requirements for IELTS Online
Below, we’ve listed some of the most common requirements for similar online tests. Keep in mind that you might need additional tools or documents for IELTS Online.
- official ID or passport
- a quiet room/location free of interruptions
- a reliable computer or laptop
- a stable internet connection
- a wired headset with a microphone
- a webcam
How much does IELTS Online cost?
At the time of writing this article, we don’t know the price of IELTS Online. But we expect it to range between 210 and 340 USD (based on region), like the regular IELTS Academic.
Read also : Best Book for IELTS General Training
Where can you register for IELTS Online?
Once IELTS Online rolls out, future candidates will be able to register on the official IELTS website.
- 10 Best Culinary Schools in the UK - May 23, 2022
- 10 Best Culinary Schools in Texas | Fees and Details - May 18, 2022
- 3 Accelerated Nursing Programs In South Dakota - May 17, 2022