IELTS general is a standardized computer-based English language test that is used in over 150 countries. Every year, tens of thousands of students take this test all over the world. As a result, the competition will be fierce. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the top books for the IELTS general exam 2022.
This article will assist you in achieving an 8+ band on your first attempt at the IELTS exam. Top English language assessment test trainers and specialists compiled the 12 best books for the IELTS general exam 2022 recommended in this article. The reading, writing, listening, and speaking portions of the IELTS exam will all be covered in these books. These books have also been updated to reflect the most recent IELTS exam syllabus for 2022.
What’s general IELTS
The IELTS [International English Language Testing System] is a global exam that is held every year in various parts of the world. For those who intend to migrate to other countries, primarily for work, passing the IELTS general tests is required. Furthermore, this exam serves as a stepping stone to establishing in English-speaking countries such as Canada, New Zealand, and Australia.
Thousands of people take the IELTS general exam each year in order to travel overseas for a variety of reasons. People migrate to other countries for a variety of reasons.-
- For better career prospects.
- For a better life, say a person would like to move to a developed nation because it offers finer options to live compared to what his or her native country does.
- To seek higher education. Education, undoubtedly, changes everyone’s lives. People who believe in that outlook always search for better education opportunities.
The primary purpose of this post is to provide recommendations and suggestions for the finest books for the IELTS general exam to these exam candidates.
Read on; Best Tools That Can Improve Your Writing Skills
Read also; 10 Best Jobs For Graduating Students 2022
What’s the purpose of the IELTS general exam?
The goal of the General IELTS exam is to verify that a candidate interested in relocating to a foreign country has the basic capacity to understand and speak in ordinary English.
It assesses the candidate’s enthusiasm for the country in which he or she intends to settle.
For persons who are serious about living and working overseas, the exam serves as a real gate ticket. While we’re on the subject of relocating abroad, you might be interested in learning more about IELTS score for Canada PR here.
Who should take IELTS academic and general tests?
There is a distinction between the academic and general IELTS assessments. Each of the exams is taken by a different individual with a different goal in mind.
Academic IELTS is for people who wish to apply to universities and colleges in other countries, whereas general IELTS is only for people who want to migrate.
Despite the fact that the tests are designed for two different purposes, they both assess a candidate’s and test-capacity taker’s to communicate in English through speaking, reading, listening, and writing. Continue reading if you wish to develop your skills in these areas. The best IELTS General exam 2022 books listed below can help you strengthen your skills in all of the above parts.
Why you need books to prepare for the IELTS general exam
- Any IELTS exam that you prepare for will have a specific pattern. Books will help you familiarize yourself with those patterns.
- Through books, you can get to know what types of questions are included in the test.
- IELTS general exam books can help boost your confidence since you get to understand how to attempt the test.
- Most of the test prep books on IELTS have mock test papers created by IELTS specialists.
- Mock tests help you gauge your proficiency.
- Last but not least, a bit of study always helps. You get to understand your level of English and work towards improving it.
Now we’ll go over the top 12 books that can help you prepare for the upcoming IELTS general examinations. These books will assist you in achieving a band of 8 or above. These books are recommended based on the types of questions they cover, their popularity among test takers, and their overall quality and authenticity.
What are the best books for the IELTS general exam in 2021?
|S.No||IELTS General Book name||Author of the IELTS book||Publisher of the IELTS book||Price (in INR)||Year of publishing||Where to buy|
|1||The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS||Pauline Cullen||Cambridge University Press||Rs. 635||28 April 2014||Amazon, Flipkart|
|2||Cambridge IELTS 10 to 16||Various||Cambridge University Press||Each below Rs. 500||16 April 2015||Amazon|
|3||English Collocations in Use||Felicity O’dell & Michael McCarthy||Cambridge University Press||Rs. 4117||4 September 2008||Amazon|
|4||English Vocabulary in Use||Felicity O’dell & Michael McCarthy||Cambridge University Press||Rs. 339||21 December 2012||Amazon|
|5||Barron’s IELTS superpack||–||New Age International Pvt. Ltd.||Rs. 498||1 February 2012||Amazon|
|6||Official IELTS Practice Materials Vol. 1 & 2||Cambridge ESOL||Cambridge English||Vol 1 – Rs. 1464|
Vol 2 – Rs. 1701
|3 March 2009||Amazon|
|7||Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS||Pauline Cullen||Cambridge English||Rs. 2601||27 March 2008||Amazon|
|8||Cambridge Grammar for IELTS – with answers||Diana Hopkins & Pauline Cullen||Cambridge University Press||Rs. 2180||15 January 2007||Amazon|
|9||IELTS Trainer – with answers and audio||Louise Hashemi & Barbara Thomas||Cambridge English||Rs. 3356||10 March 2011||Amazon|
|10||Road to IELTS||–||–||FREE||N/A||British Council|
|11||IELTS General Actual Tests||–||–||Below 500||N/A||Kindle edition on Amazon|
|12||Focus on IELTS Foundation Coursebook||O’Connell Sue||Pearson Education Ltd.||Rs. 3937||14 September 2006||Flipkart|
These books can help you boost your IELTS score in a remarkable way. These 12 novels may lack stunning animation graphics or illustrations. They aren’t necessarily classics. They are, nevertheless, peer-reviewed and meticulously edited by reputable periodicals.
Some of the IELTS General books listed here are new, while others are well-known. The majority of these well-known IELTS books will be found at college libraries and institutions.
The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS – For Academic and General Training
Cambridge University Press is the publisher of this book. It is an official study guide for the IELTS test, whether it be an academic or general test.
The four modules of reading, writing, listening, and speaking are all covered in this book. It’s a helpful handbook that walks you through the exam process step by step. It contains a lot of useful advice and suggestions. In addition, the book provides a thorough examination of the test-taking approach.
It is an absolute must-have for anyone looking to boost their IELTS score. This book should be on your study list if you are preparing your next general IELTS training.
Cambridge IELTS -10-11-12-13-14-15-16
This is a full library of literature about IELTS preparation, both general and academic. All of the books are intended to assist test participants in becoming more familiar with the actual IELTS patterns. The books are written in the form of a real test, with questions designed for general IELTS.
Modules, practice samples with answers, and additional practice papers are included in Books 10 and 11 for both academic and general IELTS preparation. In 2017, Book 12 was launched, containing IELTS questions that are beneficial for both general and academic test candidates. Book 13 contains all four modules as well as a large number of practice papers.
Cambridge IELTS 14, 15 and 16 are also great books for practice tests. You’ll find more product information on cambridge.org. Most of these books are available on Amazon, and they are priced below Rs. 500.
English Collocations in (Advanced)
Cambridge also published this book. It focuses on how to utilize English in everyday situations, how to mix words [collocations], and how to write certain sentences. The book has 60 lessons on a variety of themes. There are almost 1500 collocations in it.
This book is intended for persons who have a basic understanding of English. It will be beneficial if you want to get a band of 6 or higher.
Read on this:
5 Facts You Should Know About the U.S. Grading System
What Is Actuarial Science and Should I Study an Actuarial Degree in 2021?
What is Kinesiology and Why Study a Kinesiology Degree in 2021?
What Are Ivy League Universities and Why Must I Care?
11 Ways To Get Free Doctorate Degree In Theology Online
9 Top Free Online Ministry Degrees & Seminary Degrees
20 Free Honorary Doctorate Degrees Online
7 Best Medical Schools in Spain
10 Cheapest Universities In Europe
Universities in New Zealand with Master’s in Public Health
6 Cheapest Universities in Luxembourg for International Students
English Vocabulary in (Upper-Intermediate)
There are approximately 100 units in the book, as well as 3000 vocabulary items and a variety of activities. It’s an excellent purchase for individuals aiming for a band of 6 or above on the IELTS general exam. It includes a variety of tasks that are appropriate for both beginners and intermediate English speakers.
This book is recommended for IELTS test takers who are concerned about the reading and speaking components. It is an excellent purchase and a much-needed resource for all IELTS candidates.
Barron’s IELTS Practice Exams
This book is widely regarded as one of the most useful IELTS tools. It contains all of the most recent lectures and practice tests for both academic and general training.
It’s also one of the top IELTS self-study books. Test takers wishing to get admission to countries such as the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand should add this book to their reading list.
Official IELTS Practice Materials Volume 1 and 2
This book, written by Cambridge ESOL examiners and trainers with years of experience teaching for the IELTS, provides useful tips and advice.
Each module in the book offers a number of practice papers. There are also answers and comments from the examiners for each of the offered questions.
All of the mocks are designed to assess your performance and comprehension. These practice tools are one of the top IELTS reading materials you should have if you want to attain a band of 9.
Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS
This book, published by Cambridge University Press, is geared towards test takers who aspire to achieve an IELTS score of more than 6. It includes multiple sample test papers as well as solutions from IELTS experts.
The book can help you improve your vocabulary and English proficiency in preparation for academic and general assessments. It also includes audio recordings to help you improve your reading and listening abilities. The book is a must-have for anyone hoping to achieve a high IELTS score.
Cambridge Grammar for IELTS
If you want to create a good foundation in English grammar, this is the book for you. The book is quite popular among IELTS candidates. It includes grammar explanations and glossaries, and it’s great for practicing listening, reading, and writing.
Cambridge English – IELTS Trainer
The Cambridge English book IELTS General Test Patterns is a guide to mastering IELTS general test patterns. It includes six complete practice tests as well as exam hints and strategies. For both academic and general IELTS training, the book covers the official test formats, question kinds, and scoring methods.
Road to IELTS
Road to IELTS is an online learning resource accessible on the British Council’s website, not a book. Mock test papers, sample videos, tutorials, a resource bank area, a “my progress” feature, and other interactive exercises are all available.
You can download the resources for free if you are a member of the British Council in India. With ‘Road to IELTS,’ you’ll also get all new speaking tutorials.
Here is the download link to get free access to Road to IELTS.
IELTS General Actual Tests – ebooks
This is a collection of five e-books covering all of the IELTS modules, including reading, listening, speaking, and writing task 1 and 2 of the General Module.
The book can assist you in comprehending all of the IELTS general exam patterns. It also includes IELTS trainers’ and examiners’ responses. Kindle versions of study materials or e-books can be obtained from sites like Amazon.
Focus on IELTS Foundation Coursebook
This book will teach you the abilities you’ll need to master IELTS and get a good band. It includes a language bank, as well as various exam papers and exercises to help you enhance your language basics. The book’s goal is to provide you with a solid foundation in the English language so that you can do well on the IELTS general exam.
Other important IELTS resources books for improving vocabulary
- IELTS Vocabulary Book by IELTSmaterial.com
- Collins Vocabulary for IELTS
- Barron’s Essential Words for IELTS
- IELTS Band 9 Vocab Secrets
- IELTS Vocabulary Booster
- Check your English Vocabulary for IELTS
How to improve your vocabulary and speaking skills for IELTS?
- Try to speak in English with friends and family members, whenever possible.
- The more you practice speaking, the better you become.
- Try to imitate newsreaders speaking in English.
- Read a good number of materials in English.
- Record yourself and listen. Sometimes the best way to correct yourself is by listening to your voice.
- Focus on the correct pronunciation of English words and phrases. Knowing vocabs is not enough if you don’t know how to use them correctly.
The books mentioned above are among the best for IELTS vocabulary. To improve your vocabularies, you may wish to binge watch popular Netflix programs or movies in addition to studying. For non-native English speakers, shows like Suits, House of Cards, Big Bang Theory, Friends, Our Planet, and BBC Life are recommended.
Other important IELTS resources books for improving grammar
- Oxford Practice Grammar Advanced
- Oxford Practice Grammar Intermediate
- English Grammar in Use
How to improve your English grammar for IELTS?
- Start with the fundamentals. Read grammar books that are easy to understand, for example, you can start with the Little Red Book on grammar.
- Try to solve quizzes on English grammar.
- Listen to podcasts and audios on grammar basics.
- Also try to read online resources in English.
- Mastering English grammar is not difficult. It needs constant attention and practice to achieve that, so you need to keep practicing.
Other important IELTS resources & books for improving writing
- IELTS General Writing by Daniella Moyla
- Barron’s Writing for the IELTS
- IELTS General Writing Task Masterclass by Marc Roche
IELTS writing can be challenging. What makes it more challenging is when test takers are unsure of what to study and how to study for the writing section. You may do well in IELTS writing with a little work and forethought.
How to improve your writing for IELTS?
- Read books that will help you sharpen your writing skills.
- Write every day, and write in a few words. It’s also a good idea to get your writings evaluated by someone who can help you improve your skills.
- Try to use some of the words and phrases that you learn in your writings.
- Always visualize what you want to write. Once you start visualizing, it becomes easier to pen down the words in your mind.
- Think in English. This is because when you think in a particular language in your mind, you tend to converse better in the same language.
Other important IELTS resources & books for improving listening
- IELTS listening Practice Tests
- Cambridge Grammar for IELTS
- Mometrix IELTS General Training and Academic 2021
How to improve your listening skills for IELTS?
- Sharpening your listening skills will depend a lot on what you read. This is because pronunciation plays an important role when someone speaks. You must first identify the correct pronunciation of certain words and phrases.
- Listen to podcasts in different accents. American English accents are totally different from British accents.
- Try out audio books. They are helpful in teaching you new vocabularies.
- Listen to conversations, monologues, or plays in English.
- Also, try listening to various thought-provoking content creators, such as a naturalist working for Discovery or a TV presenter from BBC London News.
Other important IELTS resources books for improving reading
- Check your English Vocabulary for IELTS by Rawdon Wyatt
- IELTS Reading Strategies: The Ultimate Guide by Rachel Mitchell
- Road to IELTS
- The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
Most test takers regard the IELTS reading test to be the simplest. However, how you pronounce words and sentences is frequently scrutinized.
However, this does not imply that you must speak with an accent. This implies you should read and speak confidently and effectively while maintaining a neutral accent. While reading out, your pronunciation should be clear and there should be no hesitation.
How to improve your reading skills for IELTS?
- Read English novels, plays, poems, and whatever else you like.
- Get online subscriptions of the British Council library. They have several magazines, journals, movies, documentaries – which can tell you a lot about the world outside.
- Read at least once every day. Make it a habit.
Note: Your ability to talk will be influenced by both your reading and listening skills, whether consciously or subconsciously. When you read well, you tend to write and communicate well as well.
The books listed above are some of the best to study in order to prepare for the IELTS general 2021 exam. These books will also be useful for the IELTS academic tests in 2021. All of the books mentioned above can be found on the internet. Free information and PDFs are also available from websites such as the British Council.
To find the best books for your IELTS examinations, you must first determine your goals: do you want to study abroad or simply improve your English speaking skills? Are you seeking for ways to relocate to one of your favorite foreign destinations? Or are you required to take the IELTS exam for professional reasons?
While looking for the best books for IELTS general training 2021, you must consider the following:
- What’s your budget? If you are tight on your budget, you may opt for some library membership, say British Council online membership plans. They have plenty of online resources at half the cost to help you prepare for your IELTS exam.
- Check your level of English. Some people may want an advanced level of books and resources for IELTS, and skip the intro level. But it is always better to brush up on your fundamentals before you hop onto something bigger.
- Understand what you need. If you are looking for IELTS academic books, then don’t mix it up with IELTS general test books.
- Choose books that have mock test papers, along with answers. It will help you evaluate your performance better.
- Always go for officially released books. There are many books on IELTS which are not authentic so you need to watch out for those.
FAQs about the Best Books for IELTS General Exams
Which book should I read for IELTS?
There are numerous IELTS books that have been officially released on the market. The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS is widely regarded as one of the best books for individuals beginning their IELTS preparation. Another helpful book recommended by professionals is Barron’s IELTS superpack.
When deciding on a book, think about what you want to get out of it. A book that is suggested for the IELTS general exam may not be appropriate for the IELTS academic test.
Is the Cambridge series enough for IELTS?
Almost all of the Cambridge texts are sufficient for both academic and general IELTS preparation. However, don’t get yourself mixed up by reading too many books at once. It may overwhelm you with too much information and fail to assist you in any way.
Which is the best way to prepare for IELTS in India?
In India, the best approach to prepare for IELTS is to do it your way, whether it’s through self-study or professional tutoring. However, some people may require assistance in order to properly prepare. This means that for people who prefer to take an official learning path, institutes like Kanan International, which provides specialized, professional IELTS instruction for both academic and general tests, may be advantageous.
Which book is best for IELTS?
Cambridge books are the finest for IELTS, as previously said. Different people, on the other hand, will have different needs. Barron’s books, IELTS Trainer, and British Council’s Road to IELTS are all excellent and highly recommended study aids.
Which book is the best for IELTS writing?
- Barron’s IELTS Writing by Lin Lougheed
- IELTS Advantage: Writing Skills by Lewis Richards and Richard Brown
- IELTS General Writing by Daniella Moyla
How do I improve my IELTS reading?
You must constantly upgrade yourself not only in terms of your writing skills, but also in terms of your reading skills for IELTS. That necessitates a great deal of commitment to studying. Try to read high-quality information to improve your vocabulary and broaden your understanding.
Some of the books that you can refer on IELTS reading are as follows:
- Barron’s IELTS superpack
- The entire Cambridge collection on IELTS
- IELTS Trainer
Which books are more preferred for IELTS academic exams in 2021?
- Official IELTS practice materials
- Barron’s IELTS superpack
- Road to IELTS
- IELTS Trainer
Where can I get answers to the Cambridge IELTS book questions?
Answers can be found both online and in books. At Kanan, you can also enroll in formal IELTS classes. Kanan’s IELTS classes have a number of advantages.-
- You get trained by professional IELTS experts,
- You get access to many video lectures and resources to help you practice,
- Our mock test papers are created to mimic the actual test patterns,
- At Kanan, you get to choose your preferred learning method – we have all types of flexible batches available, and
- Our course fee is relatively cheaper compared to that of other training institutes.
How can I score 8 in IELTS?
You can enroll in Kanan International’s IELTS training to improve your score to an 8 or higher. We have offices in Vadodara, Bardoli, Chennai, and Vapi, among other major Indian cities.
The instructors are English language experts who have worked at organizations such as the British Council and IDP. Because the instructors pay close attention to the students enrolled, we keep our batch sizes modest.
Can I prepare for IELTS at home?
Yes, it’s possible to prepare for IELTS at home if you know what to study. The best books for IELTS general self-study are Cambridge series, that is 10 to 16. Also, you can refer to the resources available online, including those with British Council.
But self-study comes with a lot of challenges. Someone who is not aware of the fundamentals of IELTS must think of enrolling himself or herself to an IELTS learning centre, such as at Kanan. Moreover, when you are in the hands of a trainer, you get to spend less time figuring out things on your own.
Which part of IELTS is the hardest?
For a poor listener, IELTS listening could be the hardest and for a good listener, either IELTS reading or writing could be the hardest. Most test-takers find IELTS speaking the hardest. If you think you can communicate [either speak, read, or write ] fairly well in English, then it shouldn’t be much of a problem for you.
How to crack the IELTS in less than a month?
It is possible to pass the IELTS in about 15 days. You may, however, require some assistance from folks beyond your network. This means you can enroll in professional IELTS lessons, such as Kanan’s IELTS training, where experienced trainers will guide you through the development of important English skills.
What are the various types of IELTS in India?
IELTS is currently available in two formats: paper-based and computer-delivered. You’ll need a pencil and a response sheet if you’re taking IELTS on paper. You can also take the test online from an authorized test center if you use computer-delivered IELTS.
Because of the increasing pandemic, a new form of test called the IELTS Indicator test was created to make the testing procedure easier. The test is available in all four modules and can be completed from the convenience of your own home.
How can I clear IELTS in the first attempt?
Although this is a difficult question to answer, the choice is totally yours. The way you plan can make a big difference in whether you pass IELTS on your first try or not. It should not be difficult to pass the exam on your first attempt if you have prepared adequately ahead of time and know what is required of you.
What’s the minimum IELTS score needed for Express Entry?
The Express Entry System is divided into several categories. In IELTS, you need a minimum 6.0 band in each of the modules, regardless of which category you fall into.
Over 140 nations and 10,000 organizations and institutions accept the IELTS [International English Language Testing System].
It is required for entrance to major colleges and universities in nations such as the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia. It’s also necessary to migrate to and settle in other nations outside of the United States, such as Canada.
As a result, IELTS is divided into Academic and General examinations, each of which can be used for academic or professional purposes.
In this article, we’ve compiled a list of books that we believe are the finest for IELTS general exam preparation in 2022. In addition to all of this, professional advice and support may make the IELTS preparation process go more smoothly.
Kanan International has specialized and certified trainers at its own IELTS coaching centers across India.
Vadodara, Chennai, Bardoli, Dehradun, and Vapi are among the locations. Kanan’s teachers are seasoned educators and skilled mentors who have led over 500 IELTS classes across India.
Let us know if you’d like to learn more about us and participate in one of our excellent training and learning programs.